2017 BOARD MEETING AND HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
REGULAR BOARD MEETING AGENDAS
NEW BUSINESS DOCUMENTS
*Agendas and documents are subject to change.
CURRENT ORDINANCE REVISIONS
- Part of Sec. 46-6 Definition of Transient- means occupancy of a dwelling unit or sleeping unit for not more than 30 days. ( 2nd Reading- postponed to 1-8-18)
- Section 28-491 "Minor in possession" full ordinance attached or copy available at the clerk office. (Effective- January 1, 2018)
PC and ZBA - Applications are being taken from those interested in serving on the Township Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals. Completed applications can be submitted to the Supervisor's Office at 395 Mill Street.
2017 BRANDON TOWNSHIP OPERATING BUDGETS & APPROPRIATIONS
DO YOU HAVE INVASIVE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD?
Brandon Township is a member of the Oakland County Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area. The OC CISMA has received grant funding to treat Phragmites, swallow wort and knotweed on public and private property. A demonstration site for phragmite treatment can be viewed at the Brandon Township Library. Property owners needing help controlling these invasive plants can contact Supervisor Thurman at (248) 627-4918 for assistance. Please see the flyer on Small Scale Phragmites Control for more information Front | Back.
Asian Bittersweet is another invasive plant found in Brandon Township. Information on identification and treatment of Asian (Oriental) Bittersweet can be found on the Asian Bittersweet brochure. Click here for more information
IRON BELL TRAIL
The Brandon Township Trails Sub-Committee researched information on building and maintaining an Iron Belle Trail segment through Brandon Township. Their research was submitted to the Board on September 21, 2017. Additional findings were discussed during the October 5th, 2017 meeting followed by the Brandon Township Board voting unanimously against bringing a segment of the Iron Belle Trail through the Township.
For more information on the Iron Belle Trail, please visit
Sub-Committee Meeting Minutes
July 25, 2017
August 9, 2017
August 28, 2017
September 11, 2017
Brandon Township’s Assessing Department is conducting a review of the assessment data. The process begins by reviewing aerial photography, property photos and assessment records. In order to maintain accuracy, the next step in the process is an on-site property visit. During the visit, the assessing department will announce their presence, take photographs, update sketches and spot check measurements if needed. No attempt will be made to enter your residence. Although the 2017 goal is to visit all properties north of Oakwood Road, other locations in the township may also be visited.
BRANDON TOWNSHIP FOIA POLICY
Oakland County will now be offering the OakAlert System to anyone interested in receiving an email and/or text message with warnings and updates regarding emergency situations in Oakland County.
ASSISTANCE RESOURCE LIST
- Contact information for agencies offering help to those in need can be found here.
- Assistance for farming operation improvements is available through the Natural Resources Conservation Service; Please Please contact Patrick Costello, Oakland Conservation District for more information, (248) 922-7822.
Why are our ROADS not maintained like they used to be? Refer to: A Guide to Michigan's Road & Road Funding Crisis.
SPEED LIMITS ON TOWNSHIP ROADS
HB 4423 has been signed into law. It allows speed limits on gravel roads to be set at 45 miles per hour in a county such as Oakland that has a population of one million or more. Speed limits can be posted lower than 45 mph if a speed study supports the reduction. Municipalities will be responsible for paying for the required signage.
WORRIED ABOUT LOSING YOUR HOME?
Southeast Michigan Regional FINSC may be able to help, call 1-800-522-1183
FINANCIAL EMPOWERMENT CENTER – Oakland County is offering free and confidential financial counseling. For an appointment call (248) 858-0624.
The Michigan State Dog law was passed in 1919 to ensure that all dogs have current rabies vaccinations. Oakland County Animal Control conducts a census each summer to make sure dogs residing in our community are compliant. Dog tags purchased after June 1st are considered delinquent. Please refer to the Treasurer's page for more information on purchasing dog licenses for your pet.
HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL
- View Suggestions
- NO HAZ - Brandon Township is not participating in the Oakland County NO HAZ program this year but residents can still attend the collection events for $60.00/load. Please VIEW the collection dates and registration form.
ARE YOU BEING ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE?
HRC has compiled a list of ways to conserve energy. View GREEN TIPS.
- OTV has MOVED from channel 99 to channel 189
- What is OTV?
- If you are looking for the latest viewing on OTV Channel 189, then consider ortonvilletelevision.com for a live internet stream of the local broadcast or check out the newest videos from sports, government and community celebration in the OTV archive section of the website.
- For a complete listing of programs....make it OTV now on ortonvilletelevision.com
Please direct citizen's questions and comments about OTV to: email@example.com
EMERALD ASH BORER
For more information on the Emerald Ash Borer and what homeowners can do with dying ash trees visit: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/.